Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Shanghai Mooncake


 
This year i decided to try my hand on some baked mooncake. Pardon me, i do not like mooncakes due to the thick filling inside. These are my maiden attempt, hope it does not look too hideous. Hee! I'm glad that i tried, my DH said it was delicious. I did 3 lotus paste with red bean and 41/2 using red bean paste.

I'm submitting this post to: Aspiring Bakers #11: Mid-Autumn Treats (September 2011) http://happyhomebaking.blogspot.com/2011/09/aspiring-bakers-11-mid-autumn-treats.html hosted by HAPPY HOME BAKING

Ingredients (Makes 7 1/2 mooncakes)
A (Mooncake Pastry)
150g plain flour
50g icing sugar
25g full cream milk powder
12g custard powder
3/4 tbsp baking powder**
50g shortening
25g salted butter
1 large egg

B (Fillings)
90g lotus seed paste
330g red bean paste
some toasted melon seed

Method
  1. Mooncake Pastry: Mix ingredient A till well combined. Divide into 50g each. Put it in the fridge for 15 mins.
  2. Fillings: Knead the red bean paste and add melon seed until combined. Divide each paste into 60g. Set aside in the fridge.
  3. Wrap fillings with Mooncake Pastry. roll into balls. Arrange on a lined baking tray. Brush the top with beaten egg yolk and place some melon seeds on top.
  4. Bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 20-25 mins until golden brown.
Notes
  • I used 30g lotus paste to wrap 30g red bean paste.
  • Original recipe called for lotus paste with salted yolk. I replace the margarine with salted butter.
  • The pastry was very soft, so have to work quickly. I chilled the wrapped ball for 10 mins to prevent the pastry from spreading. (i got a pair of very warm hand)
  • Will try to reduce to 180C, my oven seem too hot and causes eruption on the mooncake. (Look like volcano, than mooncakes)
  • Will try to remove the baking powder or reduce.
Adapted from: Mooncake Sonata by Alan Ooi

No comments: