160g castor sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
170g plain flour
30g corn flour
11/2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
200g salted butter, melted
- Sift flour and baking powder set aside.
- Mix the sugar with lemon zest and set it aside for 1 hour for the smell to be infused into the sugar.
- Then add the eggs into the sugar mixture and beat until mixture is slightly thick and add in milk and mix well.
- Add in sifted flour and mix well.
- Add in melted butter and mix until batter is glossy. Cover with a cling wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Oil the madeleines moulds with butter and lightly flour it. Tap away excess flour from the moulds.
- Fill the moulds with batter just slightly more than ½ full.
- Preheat oven at 190C and bake the madeleines for 15 to 20 minutes or until brown. Unmould and leave on rack to cool. You can sift some icing sugar or snow powder on the madeleines when it has cool down completely.