Today was my DH birthday! He requested for a same chocolate cake, i baked previously for my birthday. But due to health concern, i decided not to bake him anything that is too heaty. But of course still have the same ingredients of his favourite chocolate.... So after some searching from my recipes book, i finally settle on this. He like chocolate, banana and no cream.
Take a peek inside of the slice cake.....
This time round, i did not use a sponge cake. I use my moist chocolate cake with macadamia nuts. My DH was thrilled and especially my son. He nip all the chocolate deco first and ate the whole slice of cake. I gave some to my MIL and the feedback was excellent. My DH was grumpy when, i gave some cake to my MIL LOL>>>
Ingredients: (20cm cake mould)
Chocolate cake (A)
125g butter (room temperature)
175g sugar (Caster sugar or brown, own preference)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp instant coffee powder (dissolved in 1 tsp hot water)
110g plain flour
35g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
75g macadamia nuts (toasted and chopped)
Chocolate mousse (B)
70g milk + 50g whipping cream
250g topping cream
Some banana halved
some lemon juice to sprinkle on
Chocolate frosting (C)
140ml UHT whipping cream
1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Beat butter, sugar, vanilla essence and coffee until light and creamy, Slowly add in the eggs.
- Add in all the sifted flour alternating with water. Lastly, add in the nuts.
- Pour into a greased and lined cake mould.
- Bake at 180C for 45 mins or until done.
- Whip the topping cream till stiff.
- Halved the banana and sprinkle lemon juice on it.
- Bloom the gelatine for 10 mins.
- Heat up the milk and whipping cream till hot.
- Stir in the sugar till smooth.
- Add in the chocolate until dissolved completely.
- Add in the gelatine stir till gelatine melted.
- Cool the mousse a little, then add into the whipped cream.
- Heat cream in double boiler and add in the chocolate and butter.
- Stir until chocolate has melted.
- Leave to cool slightly before pouring on top of the cake.
- Cut the cool chocolate cake into 3 layers horizontally and divide the mousse into 2 portion.
- Place one chocolate cake on the base of the proper secure cake ring.
- Spread half of the mousse and arrange banana slices on top. Cover the banana with the remaining mousse (portion 1).
- Top with 2nd layer of chocolate cake and repeat step 3. (portion 2)
- Lastly cover with the 3rd layer of chocolate cake and leave in the fridge to set.
- When set remove the cake from the cake ring and pour the chocolate frosting.
- Smooth the chocolate frosting quickly, as it set very fast. Decorate as desire. Refrigerate until set.