A simple Pandan Roll with kaya filling submitting to: Aspiring Bakers #9 July 2011 "Swiss Rolling Good Times" http://obsessedfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/07/aspiring-bakers-9-swiss-rolling-good.html
After 2 flung cases i was a quite dishearten, so secretly i told myself, this is my finally attempt (the deadline reaching, i have no time). The cake was left to cool on my table and my heart was pounding again. I wonder can the cake be roll, will it break into strip or crack. No! These was easy no cracks, no strip and even allow my son to touch too. Actually, my DH requested for a pandan chiffon, he complaint that i did not bake his favourite pandan cake for a long time and he is misses it so much. While preparing the ingredients for the chiffon, i remember that some blogger recommend that Swiss roll can be bake in chiffon method. So i quickly took a tray out and lined it with baking paper and then at the moment i was wondering should i grease it (luckily i did). Now i can finally roll a Swiss roll cake, tho picture was not well taken and roll was not attractive enough; but i was very contented, my family loves it. Especially my son (his golden mouth), he even took the little crumb i trim away from the cake side to eat licking his finger after eating too.
80g plain flour
20g corn flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 egg yolks
50g castor sugar
11/2 tbsp pandan juice
90g coconut milk
30g canola oil
1/4 tsp pandan paste (optional)
4 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
50g castor sugar
80-90g kaya (own preference)
- Line all the side and bottom of the 35 x 27 x 3-cm tin with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and add the salt. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks and castor sugar until sugar dissolve. Add oil, pandan paste, coconut milk and flour ingredients mix till smooth.
- Whip egg whites until foamy and add in the cream of tartar, following by the sugar. Continue whipping until stiff peak.
- Mix the meringue with egg yolks mixture until well incorporated.
- Pour it into the lined tin and bake it in a preheated oven at 200C for 15 minutes.
- Unmould it immediately when done. when it is cool spread the kaya on the cake and roll it up.
- Leave it in the fridge for 1 hour. Remove from fridge slice and serve.
- For easy folding of meringue with egg yolks mixture, take 1/3 of the meringue and mix well. Then add into the rest of the meringue.
- Pandan paste was added to enhance the fragrance, can be replace with green colouring.
- Trim all side of the cake.
- I just grab the nearest tin around me.